August 15, 2019

The 2019 Games

So, the 2019 CrossFit Games happened two weeks ago.

The format was certainly different.  But it was still The Games.  Rogue and Morning Chalk Up both provided solid coverage.

The cuts made the Games much more exciting throughout the whole four day event, not just the last day.  But I, like many, feel like the cut from 20 to 10 was the one thing that could have been done better.  This is the first time that I know of that many athletes have a legitimate claim that the order of the events determined who proceeded throughout the weekend.

The cut from 20 to 10 happened after the first event on Saturday morning.  If you swapped the first event on Saturday (the sprint event) with the first event on Sunday (the swim/paddle event), the top 10 would have looked WAY different.

I will say this.  In my opinion, the Games did a cut after each of the first six events.  Which is fine, but those six events ALL gave an advantage to lighter, smaller athletes.

  • Event 1 - included running and legless rope climbs, both definitely body weight dependent
  • Event 2 - included a 132 ft handstand walk, harder if you weigh more
  • Event 3 - was a 6k run, running is certainly body weight sensitive 
  • Event 4 - included bar muscle-ups, easier if you weigh less
  • Event 5 - was Mary, a body weight palooza
  • Event 6 - was a sprint that included a change of direction at a high speed, running again see event 3 above
As a larger athlete myself, I find this trend troubling.  I guess we will need to wait and see if this trend for lighter athletes continues next season.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Consistency

I need to be more consistent on blogging. So many thing have changed, and so many more changes are on the way. I'm not at Solar anym...